11.12.2008

Long Island & NYC

So, I woke up from the night after my birthday with only five hours of sleep and drove from DC to Long Island. I thought I left in enough time to make it there in six hours, so I stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel. I saw the sign and instantly thought: SWEET TEA! I drank 1 pitcher all by myself, no lie. I'd been without it for nearly 4 months. After seven hours of driving (I HATE driving around Manhattan, cut my wrist, please), I made it safely to Brookville, NY. I am staying with the Hahns. Dr. Hahn is the headmaster of Long Island Lutheran & his wife is a middle school science teacher. Words can not describe how they have treated me from the second I walked in the door! They are wonderful! There are also two student teachers staying here from NE, (David & Heidi). They are so sweet & fun. The school I am teaching at used to be a mansion - no lie. This area is very affluent - mansions everywhere. NOT to name drop...(laugh) but J. Lo & Marc Anthony live up the street AND Jon Bon Jovi was here last weekend at the football game b/c his son played on the other team. I SO wish I'd been here then! The school is beautiful and the leaves are in peak season. I will get two falls! DC's fall was just ending as I left. The person who is my contact at the school went to UA (Roll Tide! - I hear it all the time now) and is super sweet. I am enjoying it here a great deal. It's a beautiful area, woodsy and quaint. Oh and did I mention Mrs. Hahn makes dinner for us each night? Yes... :) I am very blessed.

We were off for Veteran's Day yesterday, so Heidi, David & I went into the city. We took a 45 min train commute to Penn Station then walked the city for TEN HOURS. We went to Macy's (already decorated for Christmas), went to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) - the best view of the city, hands down, St. Patrick's Cathedral, watched the Veteran's Day Parade, walked all through Central Park, had lunch @ the Boat House, took the Staton Island Ferry so we could see the Statue of Liberty, ate at Magnolia Bakery (best cupcakes EVER!), ate New York Pizza, then walked from 44th St to 84 St via 5th Ave... yes, 40 blocks. We ran into George Stephanopoulos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephanopoulos) while walking - I have an eagle eye for celebs, even nerdy ones. We met the Hahns, with their daughter & her boyfriend, at a bar to play trivia. We finally got home by midnight. What a tiring day - but tons of fun! The city is already spread with Christmas cheer! I love it! I will be going back soon as it's not a far commute. Enjoy the pics. Miss you all! xoxo!

Macy's... "It's starting to look a lot like Christmas!"

What's a trip to Times Square without a jumping shot?

Look how tiny Central Park looks from Top of the Rock! All of those colors are beautiful.

Heidi & I from Top of the Rock facing Empire State Bldg.

The view from Top of the Rock - overlooking Central Park.


The view as you pop out of Rockefeller Center to go towards St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was beautiful!

Central Park. Sheep's Meadow - my favorite place. Look how beautiful the trees are!

Central Park. Throwing leaves in the air.

The Statue as the sun is going down.

Staton Island Ferry with Lady Liberty behind me ... it was FREEZING!

Radio City Music Hall. Already with Christmas decor! I love it!

1 comment: